SPRA

St Peter's Residents' Association, Hammersmith, W6

(placeholder)
(placeholder)
(placeholder)
(placeholder)

SPRA Committee Minutes

St Peter's Residents' Association

Minutes of the Committee Meeting

Wednesday 23rd May 2018 @ 7.30pm, 1 Theresa Road


Present: Jonathan Blackhurst (co-Chair), Steve Askins (co-Chair), Elizabeth Ryland (Treasurer), Louise Devonshire (Secretary), Nichole Detering, Fazina Blanchard, Oliver Leigh Wood, Julia Everett, Mark Levesley (part time – re GDPR agenda item)


JB chaired the meeting and before the regular agenda items welcomed Julia Everett to her first Committee meeting, having joined the Committee earlier in the Spring. He also welcomed Mark Levesley, the Association's webmaster and an honorary SPRA member, and thanked him for preparing the groundwork for the GDPR discussion on the agenda tonight.


JB also thanked Fazina Blanchard for kindly hosting the meeting.


1.     Apologies – None. The Committee is in full attendance.


2.  Minutes of the Committee Meeting 20/03/18

SA confirmed with ER her desire to stand aside from her role as Treasurer, as and when a successor is confirmed. ER is happy to remain as a Committee member. She said she was happy to assist the new Treasurer with a handover.

The Minutes were then approved and signed off for the website.


5. GDPR & SPRA ( - this item moved up the agenda to allow ML to participate)

In recent weeks, SA and ML have been evaluating what SPRA as an organisation needs to do in order to be fully compliant under GDPR regulations coming into effect on May 25th. ML said that SPRA's membership forms and Standing Order mandates already go a long way to being compliant, since they clearly state how SPRA will use the data collected and request consent. It was his judgement that there was no need, therefore, to ask members to sign up once again.


ML outlined 3 further possible courses of action to ensure that the Association was fully compliant:

i.     Status quo – In this scenario no more action would be taken apart from a tweak to all future email communications to members. These would always include an “Unsubscribe” option, plus a reminder of ex-members' legal right to have their personal data removed from SPRA systems.

ii.     Privacy Policy – In this scenario, members would alerted to the SPRA Privacy Policy that outlines how SPRA obtains, uses and discloses data.

iii.     Extreme measures – In this scenario the SPRA mailing list would be held on a 3rd party server. All subscriptions and unsubscriptions would be done via this server.


ML clarified that between 120-130 members have currently signed up to receive email communications from SPRA. SA said that the 3rd party option would deprive SPRA of the ability to send more personalised messages, which are appreciated by members. He also noted that there are other members who have not opted to receive emails, do not use email, or are long-standing members who have not signed up through SPRA's relatively new membership form.


JB said that the drafted Privacy Policy is clear, thorough and a statement of good intentions. It clearly indicates how SPRA uses personal data (to communicate with members), who has access to the data set, and who can be granted access. He suggested that members should be emailed a link to the Policy on the SPRA website as soon as possible, including the option at the end of the email to “Unsubscribe” which should be default going forward. The Committee agreed on this course of action.


For the record, SA clarified that he holds all collated membership data on his computer system. This data was originally compiled from SPRA's paper records in 2015.  It includes member contact details, whether or not a membership form has been received (with the opt-in consents to emails), and how/when members pay for their subscription. ML holds a subset of this data in order to send communications to those members who have opted to receive them. ER as Treasurer holds paper copies of membership details since she deals with subscriptions.  SPRA street reps are passed details of members on their street to facilitate subscription collection and newsletter distribution, although this does not normally include contact details beyond name and address.


JB volunteered to finalise the draft policy in light of this conversation, then send back to ML to post on SPRAweb.net.  The email to members can then go out. In future, any changes to the policy will be minuted then communicated to members via email.  (Action JB / ML)


The committee thanked ML for his important work and support for SPRA and ML left the meeting.


3.     Matters Arising

CS9 – JB confirmed that the following the elections and postponed Council meetings, the situation regarding the proposed Cycle Superhighway is unclear.  Several committee members testified that Labour councillors were canvassing in the lead-up to May's local elections on the basis that they supported the principle of CS9, although not in its current form.  JB reported having seen TfL consultants once again out on the streets around the area, investigating the site of proposed cycle routes along King St/Chiswick High Road.


The Cross Keys – The Committee compared experiences of their recent visits to the pub.  The overall impression is that clientele numbers are down. The Carpenter's Arms often packed when the Cross Keys is emptier. SA reported he had visited the Cross Keys to enquire about hosting the AGM but was told that the kitchen would remain shut for the foreseeable future, and that whilst groups could hire The Barn for private drinks, no catering could be offered.  Meanwhile it seems the house next door is no longer reserved for the pub landlord, and there is a belief that it might be put on the market.  JB suggested it was time to act on the Committee's determination last year to get the pub listed as a community asset. He volunteered to investigate who best to contact Fuller's to open the conversation.  


Reclining Lady statue – Following the last committee meeting, SA and Angela Dixon spoke to the Conservation Officer at LBHFC to ask him to re-think the Council's expectation that SPRA or HFHBG should run the tendering process for restoration assessment works. The Committee also discussed the idea that the statue might be brought more prominently into our community by moving it to the northern side of the hedge. OLW said that this would be difficult as the statue was originally conceived as part of the design process of the A4, welcoming visitors to London as they sped by. In actual fact artist Karel Vogel called the statue “Speed,”.  OLW suggested the name of a local legal contact who might be able to advise on next steps. SA agreed to follow this up.


Smartwater – carried forward.


Emery Walker Talk – SA gave thanks to Jilly Paver who ran the event, and ND/LD who stepped in to help run the event and the bar.


SPRA Logo – LD handed round a text outlining SPRA's mission statement, which she had drafted to use in Shakespeare in the Squares publicity.   The text is intended to sit alongside an Association logo. The Committee discussed what might work, and how the cross keys symbol, though useful, is also used by other local organisations. Perhaps a tree, the Square's running man statue, or the reclining lady statue, might work as well. ND undertook to talk to her graphic designer contact about ideas and possible costs, and report back.


4. Events

i.   Shakespeare in the Squares, 7/7/2018

ND and LD updated the committee on latest developments.  ND has now booked the Square for a very good rate, and a Temporary Events Notice has been issued.  The first wave of publicity has generated ticket sales of 120, over halfway to the target of 220.  


LD explained that SiTS have asked SPRA to “warm up” potential sponsors before handing them onto SITS to do the deals. So far Efficient Stationers have paid for 400 publicity flyers, which were distributed by SPRA members at the start of May.  The London School of English have also offered £500 in sponsorship, combining ticket sales and placed adverts. Approaches to various other local businesses are still in progress, including to Artisan and The Carpenters Arms. OLW suggested making an approach to Lifschutz architects in the Square, and to the charitable fund of one resident. Other committee suggestions include estate agents Kerr and Co, and local developers.


ND explained that she is still negotiating with portaloo companies to provide toilets in the Square for the evening. This was part of SPRA's financial undertaking to SiTS.  LD added that SPRA has also offered to subsidise the church hire cost so they do not lose out on more lucrative bookings if the sun shines and it is not used as a venue (SiTS will only pay the full hire cost in the event of wet weather; in good weather, they will pay £100).  SPRA has also paid the hire charge of £140 for the Square as well as the TEN charge. SiTS will refund this amount if the total sponsorship raised exceeds £1,000.  The total maximum cost to SPRA's account is of the order of £1,000 which the committee agreed was acceptable.


Sadly no homeowner in the Square has yet agreed to offer a Green Room space to actors and crew on the day, despite offers of free tickets. SA suggested that targeted email should be sent to members in the Villas, N Eyot Gardens and the Square requesting help.


ii. AGM planning

The Committee agreed that The Cross Keys would not be suitable as a venue this year, for reasons already noted. LD reported that The Carpenters Arms could not however accommodate us on our preferred date of 23rd June. Landlord Simon Cherry had suggested a Monday or Tuesday night instead. LD agreed to go back and check if either Monday 2nd July as a preference, or Monday 25th June, might work.  The committee confirmed the same pricing structure as last year, with tickets selling for £10/£13 for non-members, and a top-up subsidy from SPRA to £20.


5.      Officer roles: JB said that he felt that the co-Chair structure, brought in at the AGM last year, had worked well, and he proposed the same structure for next year. The Committee agreed to support this at the AGM. LD confirmed that on this basis she was happy to continue as secretary and ER confirmed she was happy to continue as treasurer pending confirmation of a successor.


ER handed around a draft Financial Statement for 2017/18 for circulation at the AGM. She said that whilst subs contributions are very slightly down on last year, the coffers are approximately £3,000 higher than in 2016/17 - largely attributable to the filming fees SPRA has received this year.  Spending on functions and events has also gone up substantially year on year, but this is a deliberate strategy as set out at the last AGM.  The Committee agreed the accounts could be finalised and passed to Richard Thom for review.


6.     New faces

i. New committee members

JB thanked Julia Everett for volunteering. He added that the Committee should be actively on the lookout for more new recruits. SA said Sarah Macdonald had formally stepped down from the committee due to her many work commitments abroad.


ii. New councillors

SA said that SPRA should email the new councillors, Jonathan Caleb-Landy, Bora Kwon and Asif Siddique, saying that we look forward to collaborating with them in future, and inviting them to our AGM, once their council emails were available. He also offered to write to our outgoing councillors, Harry Phibbs, Lucy Ivimy and Charlie Dewhirst thanking them for their support on so many local matters in recent years.


7. Planning Updates – (NB not discussed at the meeting)

Applications previously discussed:

I.     38 St Peters Square – three applications in total re amends to previous permission - decisions overdue from the council. Note work continues on site.

II.     1 St Peters Villas – approval of details regarding previously granted permission. Decision overdue from the council. Work now appears to be complete.

III.     69-77A Black Lion Lane. Following the March planning committee at which the applicants were told that plastic framed windows were not appropriate, no revised proposals appear have been submitted to the planning department. Local residents have made it clear that they are happy to assist in arriving at an acceptable proposal.

IV.     11 Berestede Road – Rear roof extension, roof lights to front elevation, rear extension. Approved by the council on 20 April 2018/

V.     15 St Peters Grove – Enforcement case re the raising of the ridge height without permission which has also been refused at appeal and in an application for a certificate of lawfulness. SPRA is monitoring the case which is now with the planning enforcement team.

VI.     1 St Peters Square. Application for internal changes at LGF level to reconfigure the kitchen and dining areas and to change the rear steps to the garden. Decision due 27 April. Now overdue from the council.

VII.     22-24 St Peters Grove. Full application to cover amendments previously refused as a non-material change. Approved by the council.


New Applications

I.     3 St Peters Square – appeal launched on the fifth application for a two story rear extension as refused at the December planning committee. Applicants are seeking a hearing and it is not clear whether this will be allowed by the planning inspectorate. No timing details available at this stage.

II.     52 Black Lion Lane – infill extension at GF alongside existing back extension. Under review.

III.     St Peters School – Beavor Lane/ Theresa Road – new boundary fence with vehicle and pedestrian access to Theresa Rd/ pedestrian access to Beavor Lane. Playground changes. Under review.

IV.     62 Black Lion Lane – amendment to previously approved application to change from sliding rear doors at GF to Crittal style windows/ doors. Under review.



8.     AOB

Site offices in the Chambon estate – A collection of temporary mobile stacked container site offices have been in situ within the estate for some months now. They are for Notting Hill Housing Association, landlords of the Chambon estate, but there are no building works currently underway on site. FB said that she has contacted NHHA who say they intend to move the containers out at some point, but refuse to confirm a date. In the meantime neighbours on Beavor Lane, Theresa Road and within the Chambon estate are complaining about their unsightliness, commercial vehicle movements and loss of parking spaces, particularly when their purpose was un-related to the local area. SA said this unacceptable and he had visited the site and found the office occupants to be evasive at best. Thus it had reached the stage where for the co-Chairs to lodge a formal complaint to the Chairs of NHHA. FB agreed to draft a note covering key points.


Filming in the Square – SA reported a potentially lucrative new approach to SPRA by a film company. Negotiations are ongoing and he hoped there will be more to report at the next meeting.


Green flag judging -  OLW and SA attended the 2018 green flag judging along with the council parks team and a representative from the gardening contractors. The judges seemed impressed by the planting in the square and the forethought applied in respect of climate change and the impact of changing and new pests (e.g. box-hedge). They also took on board the community use, engagement with the gardens, fund raising and the flag pole. OLW indicated that he is hopeful of retaining Green Flag status for the coming year.


Picnic table in the Square – OLW said that despite receiving many compliments about the new picnic table in the Square, its origins were unknown! No-one seems to know where it came from but it was generally agreed that it was a positive and fun new addition to the Square so long it doesn't start multiplying.


Resurfacing the Square – SA and OLW flagged that an opportunity to apply for a grant for replanting has come up, that might allow the Council to bring forward funding plans for the Square pathways. They will progress and report back at the next meeting.


9.     Date / venue next meeting: Tuesday 10th July @ 730pm, 23 Standish Road.





Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes (provisional)

St Peter's Residents' Association

Minutes of the Forty First Annual General Meeting of the Association

Linden House, 60 Upper Mall, Monday 2 July 2018, 7pm



Minutes to be approved at the next AGM.


Those present: Steve Askins (Acting-chair), Jonathan Blackhurst (Vice-chair), Elizabeth Ryland (Treasurer), Louise Devonshire (Secretary), Oliver Leigh Wood, Fazina Blanchard, Julia Everett, and some 40 other members of the association and local guests.


In attendance:  Charles Clapham (Vicar of St Peter's Church), Cllr Siddique, Cllr Bora Kwon.


JB opened the meeting by welcoming members and guests to the 41st AGM 41st AGM. He indicated that copies of the Chair's annual report, together with a financial statement, were to be found on each chair, and further copies were available on request.  SA thanked the management and staff at Linden House for hosting, and quickly ran through the ticketing system for the party, which was to directly follow the AGM.


1.     Apologies for absence

Apologies received from: Nichole Detering, Mark Levesley, Karen Frazer, Cllr Caleb-Landy, Kate Goodhart and Michael Field of the WSRA, Raj and Asha Sethi.


2.     Minutes of the 2017 AGM

No amendments were noted.  The Minutes were duly proposed (by Jilly Paver), seconded (by Oliver Leigh-Wood) and were formally approved.  LD to post on the SPRA website having obtained a provisional sign-off by the committee at the next meeting.


3.     Matters Arising from the Minutes of the 2017 AGM

Pedestrian Crossing at the end of Black Lion Lane (and at Young's Corner) Following widespread concern expressed at the 2017 AGM that the junctions are dangerous and the pedestrian crossing doesn't give people enough time to cross the road, Harry Phibbs looked into the issue once again.  He discovered that a chain of crossings from King Street and along the Chiswick High Road are linked, so cannot be altered without due consideration of the whole picture.  


However, Margaret Lind-Smith reported that in her opinion the crossing at BLL Is much quicker to respond to requests, so something might have been changed.  Another member suggested that a puffin crossing might be more effective (this is a type of traffic-light request crossing with sensors that ensure that the lights stay red when pedestrians are on the road).  


Shop unit @ Entwistle Terrace – SA reported that this remains vacant, with no trace of any active marketing on the landlord's part.  There is general consensus that it would be better to have a business up and running, and dismay at its rundown appearance.  At the last AGM fears were expressed that developers might turn the space into more flats.  SA reported that had approached the Council Planning department who could make no comment unless an application for change of use was received.  


Richard Farthing said that the restrictions on delivery and loading to the property must limit the appeal for potential businesses.  


Broadband Speed – SA said that there are isolated pockets within the SPRA area where BT Infinity does not work.  Elsewhere, certain streets have only patchy Wi-Fi.  BT has looked into the issue and reports no error, despite local investigations to the contrary.  The relevant street rep will continue to keep an eye on this issue.


Street Cleaning – Last year the Council was sending out street cleaners just before the rubbish collection.  Following various complaints, the situation appears to have been rectified.


Signage – Several members objected to the haphazard arrows and labels on local lampposts, advertising The Carpenters Arms.  SA said that if they wished, SPRA could make a formal representation to the landlord. He asked for any relevant photographs to be forwarded to him.  


Weeds growing on the pavements – SA reported that the Council has started to use a lot of hot water spray to get rid of the weeds that grow along the sides of residential roads and pathways.  This is both more environmentally friendly, and cheaper, than using weedkiller.  It is also, apparently, as effective.


4.     Chair's Report

JB presented the Chairs report, which was circulated in advance and summarised at the meeting, is appended to these minutes. In summary the main points were:

a.     Thanks for their time and efforts

SA and JB have shared Chairing duties this year. LD returned to role of secretary.  ER has continued as Treasurer. Sarah Macdonald stepped down from the Committee, and Julia Everett joined the Committee.  Mark Levesley has continued in his enormously supportive role as Webmaster, for which SPRA gives huge thanks especially in this year of GDPR vigilance! The street reps have been extraordinarily helpful as ever, not least because of the last-minute requests they have received this year.

b.     Events

SPRA threw two parties; SPRA Talks returned (thanks to Jilly Paver); and Shakespeare is set to return to the Square this summer with SPRA hosting a performance of As You Like It.  LD urged members to buy their tickets via the Eventbrite link advertised on fliers attached to the AGM bundle, or otherwise take their chances with the few tickets reserved for sale on the night.

c.     CS9

JB explained how the proposals for TfL's Cycle Superhighway consumed much of SPRA's time and energies this year.  SPRA disseminated information, coordinated feedback, and made its own representation to the consultation.

d.     Invitation to help

JB appealed to any members with talents and a few hours a month to join the Committee, and help roll out more events for members.


5.     Presentation and Adoption of Accounts

ER walked the room through a financial summary of SPRA's audited records, copies of which were available for attendees to view.  


She said that SPRA's accounts were especially healthy this year, with £10,984.09 in the current account.  Some 114 members/households paid subs for the year 2017/18.  Some £4,250 of that income came from filming dues this year.  


ER noted that SPRA's outgoings this year were primarily event-focused (two parties, the AGM, and Shakespeare in the Square).  She thanked Richard Thom for once again auditing the accounts.


The accounts were proposed (by Brian Paver) and seconded (by Maggie Dobson) and unanimously agreed.


6.     Election of Officers and Committee Members

Nominations for the renewed election of existing Officers and Committee members 2018-19:  Steve Askins, Jonathan Blackhurst, Louise Devonshire, Oliver Leigh Wood, Elizabeth Ryland, Fazina Blanchard, Julia Everett, Nichole Detering.  Proposed (by Margaret Lind-Smith), seconded (by Angela Than) and approved.


Elizabeth Ryland is stepping aside as Treasurer, but not from Committee membership. Nomination for Treasurer 2018-19: Phillip Back.  Proposed (by Jilly Paver), seconded (by Sarah Burrell), and approved.


7.     SPRA Heroes

Bottles of local produce (Sipsmith's gin) are annually awarded to residents to thank those who have contributed above and beyond the call of duty to life in the community.  This year suggestions are invited from members (submissions to SA/JB please) and the awards will be announced in due course by Christmas.


8.     AOB

Quidam - SA gave thanks to Revd. Dr Charles Clapham for his support, not just of SPRA, but also of the life of this community. The new arts programme Quidam is full of creative new events and ideas for residents.  SA said he was hopeful that SPRA would continue to forge links between the church, SPRA, and St Peter's School led by Karen Frazer.


Tom Ryland – Many of the assembled members wished to place on record their recognition of and thanks to Tom Ryland for his extraordinary contribution to community life across many years. Tom was a former SPRA Chair but the reach of his social, professional and creative life was enormous.


The Cross Keys – Richard Farthing asked whether it might be useful for SPRA to lobby for the pub to be listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV).  It was noted however that this does not guarantee the pub's future – merely ensures the landlords must inform us if it intends to sell up.  SA said that SPRA would remain vigilant, and keep up communications with Fuller's Brewery.


There being no further business, the 41st AGM was called to a close and the party commenced.